Skip to main content

Star Wars Theory's Vader Fan Film: Review

Hey everyone! Katie here!

      Merry Christmas! The past few years we have aways had a Star Wars movie coming out in December. This year however, our Star Wars movie, Solo, came out in May. This left a kind of void in December that was normally filled by Star Wars. However, a YouTuber by the name of Star Wars Theory decided to change that, he put thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and gathered a group of talented people to create a fan film unlike any other we had seen before. And even better, he's just getting started.

This was only the first episode in a series of episodes he hopes to make and release on Youtube. This one, titled Vader: Shards of The Past was released December 4th. The film is very well put together and gives off the same vibe as many of the recent Vader comics. For a fan film it is extremely well done. Let's talk about it in a bit more detail though.

The Cast
  Many different people auditioned for the fan film but in the end, only one person could be chosen for each role. While none of the actors (or actress) could be exactly the same as their prequel and original saga counterparts many of them came extremely close.

Catherine LaSalle's Padmé  was amazing, she felt like Padmé and there didn't seem to be any awkwardness in playing the role. Her costume was amazing and she played her role beautifully. She was a wonderful choice for Padmé and I doubt Star Wars Theory could have found many other actresses who could have filled the role so perfectly.

Marik Knight not only has a name that could have come straight from Star Wars but he also has a promising career ahead of him. While he was by no means perfect he played the part well. He was also clearly enthusiastic about his role and seemed to give it his all.


Steven Bartlett (Sheev Palpatine) and Dupree Jones (Darth Vader) both played their characters well. There weren't any huge moments that jumped out to me as odd movement from their characters. Both did very good.


Bradley Klein's (Sheev Palpatine Voice) performance was good although unfortunately there were times where I felt his voice was just to different from Palpatine's as we know it and I felt my interest drifting away, his performance was by no means bad however and he is clearly talented.


Jesse Gomez (Darth Vader Voice) however blew me away. Together with Jones' acting talent Darth Vader came off as believable and menacing. Together they played a character who was a frightening monster, yet was suffering and trapped in his own mind.


Overall the cast was well picked and talented!


Sets
  My favorite set was definitely from the last scene on Naboo. While the others were still good they felt plain and squished at times. As though the actors had been locked in a closet to act out a scene. Seeing as it's a fan film and not a multi-million dollar Hollywood Blockbuster this is easily excused.

Plot
  The plot mostly focuses on Vader overcoming his past, with the end scene hinting a battle to come. I enjoyed the plot because it reminded me of the recent Vader comics and because it's always cool to get into someones head and see why they act a certain way. It made Vader feel a bit more human, although at times it felt a bit confusing. The film wasn't long, just over sixteen minutes in length, but the pacing was decent and I didn't feel like I was bored at any point. Overall I enjoyed the plot!

Overview
   Shards of The Past is pretty good as far as fan films go, definitely better then your average one. A lot of money was spent on it and a lot of people worked together to make it a reality. Star Wars Theory did well. However, in the end it isn't cannon. I'd have to rank it slightly above the Holiday Special. The film was well paced, the cast was talented, and Star Wars Theory's hard work turned his dream into a reality, and for that he deserves a round of applause. So, if you are looking for a fan filmed I'd definitely recommend this one. I hope you all enjoyed the film as well, let me know what you thought of it! I'd love to hear your opinions on different parts of the film! You can comment below, message us on Instagram (@theroguefangirls) or email us at roguefangirls@gmail.com. Merry Christmas!

                                                May The Force Be With You,
                                                      The Rogue Fangirls       


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year of Rogue Fangirls!

Hey Everyone!     Katie here! Today marks the one year birthday of The Rogue Fangirls! So to celebrate, I'm going to be talking about two of my favorite moments in (mostly) Star Wars over the past year! Before I get started though, I'd like to thank all of you for your support! Whether you've been here since that first podcast last year or you've discovered Rogue Fangirls recently your support is so important and very much appreciated! Without friends and followers, there wouldn't be any Rogue Fangirls, so I very much appreciate all of you who support us! Star Wars Celebration Alright, you probably guessed it. The biggest moment for me this year was being given a press pass for Star Wars Celebration Chicago and getting to experience that! It was such a wonderful time! While I don't think I'll be able to come to Celebration Anaheim I hope that Celebration Chicago won't be the last one I attend. While people who had attended Celebrations in the p

Intervew with Melissa Thomas (aka Meltyartz)

 Hey everyone! Katie here! We are so sorry for the lack of content lately! Life has been extremely busy (and will only become more so over the holidays!) We will do our absolute best however to make sure we still get some content up! The plan for the coming week is to get at least one video up to talk about the new Resistance  episode and to get our interview with Temi Blaev (The stable boy from TLJ) up on the blog! Right now though, here is our interview with the extremely talented Melissa Thomas! We've talked to her briefly before (During our Artist interviews) but this time we got to chat with her even more!   We've talked to you briefly before. Last time we really just talked about art but I'm sure there is plenty more to talk about! Can you tell us a little bit about your 'style' and how you've developed it? Glad to talk again with you girls! Thank you for inviting me to do this interview. I feel like my style is in this constant motion of evo

Rebels Remembered : Two Years Later

Hello There!  Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on here! I'm excited to share this little podcast episode with you all though, last year I wrote this blog post all about Star Wars Rebels and you can find it here , however, I'm super excited to do a podcast episode this year! You can find it on Itunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify by searching 'The Rogue Fangirls' or by clicking here ! Enjoy and May The Force Be With You!        ~ Kat ~