Skip to main content

Cosplays We Love

Hey everyone!

     These days you can't go very far on the Internet without coming across a number of talented cosplayers. Today we are going to be featuring a few cosplayers we love!

M. Blackburn

           We first found M a few months ago when we discovered their four amazing Sabine Wren variants!


You have done a lot of different Sabine variants. Which is your favorite and which is the most comfortable?
            My favorite Sabine gear is probably the “epilogue” outfit! It also happens to be the most comfortable, because I don’t have to wear a wig- I use my natural hair!


When did you first start cosplaying seriously?
            I first started cosplaying more seriously a few years ago, maybe 4? 



What inspires you?
            Music! And film, and friends. It can be anything and everything that inspires me, but I am frequently inspired while working out.

Sabine is a character you cosplay a lot, what does she mean to you?
            Sabine means a lot to me. I relate to her a ton, and her outfit and hair is second to none. She’s expressive, wound tight, full of spirit and bravery. I aspire to be like her!



McKenna

McKenna is probably the first cosplayer Katie found when she started looking into cosplaying and both of us love her various Ahsoka variations!


 You do a lot of Ahsoka cosplay variants, which version is the most fun and which is your favorite?
 I believe I'm up to 6 Ahsoka variants with (I think) 6 more on the way! Each one has a special memory attached to it so it's very hard to choose...slave Ahsoka was actually my first RL approved costume. The reaction to Mortis Ahsoka at SWCO was just incredible. Ahsoka the White was noticed by Filoni himself, and snow Ahsoka is so poofy and comfy. However in the context of her main looks (Clone Wars and Rebels), honestly... I tend to wear the version that I feel most connected to during that time. Ahsoka and I have a lot in common, for better and for worse. She's given me strength in some very tough times because I know that if she can survive and prosper then I can too.




When did you first start cosplaying seriously?
I was always the kid who was not satisfied with the accuracy of Halloween store costumes. Holidays were a big deal at my house and we go all out. So my family has always been supportive in helping me make my costumes when I was a kid. When I got older, I was the nerd showing up to college parties in full foam armor. One year a friend mentioned I should go to an upcoming con and the reaction was incredible. I discovered Clone Wars shortly after and had been planning and experimenting with Ahsoka costume parts for a while before making my very first version. I'm on version ~3.5 now with another version on the way!




What inspires you?
So many people! First, my family. They've always been helpful and encouraging of my creative habits no matter what they were. Even now they want to know what I'm working on and support my work whenever they can. Second I have to say pretty much anyone and everyone working at Lucasfilm, ILM, and all related studios. George Lucas, Dave Filoni, Ashley Eckstein, John Williams, the producers, publicists, writers, artists, animators-- everyone. I get so worked up talking about the work that goes into these movies and the people behind them. They've inspired me to become an artist, musician, and to be proud of who I am, my work, and what I enjoy (being a nerd!). For example, I have an aurebesh tattoo on my wrist as a reminder to myself. It says "Don't be afraid". This is what George Lucas told Dave Filoni when he started out. Never be afraid of putting your creative work out there!



And finally, as a character you cosplay as so much, what does Ahsoka mean to you?

As I previously mentioned, I feel like I relate a lot to Ahsoka. I feel like I owe a lot to her. I watched Clone Wars late- just after graduating college a couple years ago. It was a time of incredible uncertainty when I was asking myself what do I want to be doing and what makes me happy. It was scary, and I found myself relating to Ahsoka's character more and more as the series went on. Ahsoka is such a well-written character and she's exactly what I wanted to see on screen when I was a little girl. She was smart but humble, fierce but passionate...and incredibly snippy! Through Ahsoka I have been extremely lucky to meet some of my idols including Ashley Eckstein and Dave Filoni. Both are very kind, talented, and inspiring individuals who remind me to "dream it, do it" and "don't be afraid".



Sam

We discovered Sam a while back and when we saw her various cosplays (especially her Annabeth Chase) we instantly fell in love. She clearly puts a lot of dedication into her extremely different cosplays!

You’ve done a lot of different cosplays. Which is your favorite?
As of right now, my favorite is a tie between my newest upgraded Astrid Hofferson and my Mal cosplays. (I have a feeling that will change entirely once I get the HTTYD3 Astrid and Ahsoka Tano finished)


When did you first start cosplaying seriously?
 2015, after attending Free Comic Book Day. I went to my first convention, Asheville Comic Expo in that same year and got wheels turning to do Astrid Hofferson

What inspires you?
Normally whatever character I am cosplaying. Stories, certain music, and my bestie are major influences as well

Annabeth Chase is a character who I don’t think gets as much recognition as a lot of the characters you cosplay. What does she mean to you?
Annabeth is, in a sense, me. I fell in love with her instantly. From her being the "Wise girl" to her descriptions of blonde wavy/curly hair and grey eyes. Riordan has honestly given us a lot of characters that I feel most people can identify with




John

We've seen a few pictures of John's Kanan cosplay before but until someone recommended his cosplays to us we didn't know who was behind the amazing Kanan Jarrus cosplay (or his awesome Ima-Gun Di)

I think Kanan is one of the cosplays you are known for, although you've done other Star Wars cosplays if you had to pick another Jedi to Cosplay as (that you haven't done before) who would you pick and why? 
If I had to choose another Jedi to do, I might choose a Quinlan Vos. I like rogue Jedi haha

When did you first start cosplaying seriously?

 I think I starting taking cosplay seriously when I joined a Star Wars charity group that required costumes be at a certain standard. After that, I realized the differences between qualities and textures, along with varieties of options.

Ima-Gun Di (Photo by Marcus Napuri)
What inspires you? 
I really enjoy bringing these characters to life. Especially real-life versions of cartoon characters. My inspirations come from the amazing costumers and prop makers I see post daily. I see stuff and think, "I could never do that..." but you never know until you try. I guess you could say its the community of amazing people that inspires me.



What does Kanan mean to you and why did you first decide to cosplay him?

 Kanan represents a new face for me in SW. One that I can look at and say, "Hey, that kinda looks like me!"... I've never had that with any other characters since the beginning. We see Luke and Han but I never related to them the way I do with Kanan. Also, besides looks, his struggles. I feel his story is a metaphor for life. It doesn't always go as planned but you need to continue to fight no matter what. Kanan represents inclusion and expansion to what was once a two-dimensional story. His story branches and splitters into more possibilities for characters that represent more diverse backgrounds. It's all a win. Filoni did good


Kanan Jarrus (Photo by Mark Edwards)



Maddy

We found Maddy very recently but we immediately fell in love with some of her cosplays! 

You’ve done a lot of different cosplays, which is your favorite?
My favorite cosplay would have to be my Korra book four cosplay. Not only do I adore Korra as a character, I love the cosplay. Its very comfy but still look pretty cool and nothing beats a comfy cosplay for going to conventions. I also have a fun water bending prop, I love props for cosplay. So that's always fun seeing people’s reactions to it.
She was also the first character I cosplayed at my first con ever. I think I’ve improved the costume a lot since first wearing it and i’m very proud of it. Practice makes perfect!

Lara Croft
When did you first start cosplaying seriously?
My first cosplay was Lara Croft from the rebooted Tomb Raider game (2013) that I wore for Halloween. I made a lot of the props for it but at the time I didn’t even wear a wig with it. Eventually i made a better holster and bow and got a wig!
My first cosplay at a con was Korra from Legend of Korra in 2014 to a con called Nekocon. It was a hot mess. I’d never been to a convention before and my costume had some problems just staying on and in the right places. It was also the first time I had worn a wig. It was a pretty bad wig. As I said before, cosplays get better with time and eventually you figure out what works and what doesn’t work!

What inspires you?
As for inspiration for cosplays, I look to a lot of other cosplayers in the community. There are so many amazing Star Wars cosplayers and I still really want to make a Star Wars cosplay some day.
I also get inspired by my cosplay friends who are absolutely amazing at making their costumes. They inspire me to learn more about costuming and fabrics and techniques.

Wonder Woman
We love your Lara Croft! As a character you’ve cosplayed, what does she mean to you?
 Lara Croft was the very first cosplay/costume I attempted to make. At the time, I was in high school and that can be a not so fun time as most of us know.
I had a good time going home and playing the game after school and on the weekends.
As a history nerd, her knowledge in the game inspired me to study deeper into more ancient civilizations as well as archeology. (Even though she destroys most of the sites she visits)
Shes also just a super cool badass character. I loved her new look and new back story.


Thanks to all of you for the interviews and we can't wait to see future cosplays! I hope you all enjoyed reading these interviews and learning more about them! make sure to check them all out! (Their Instagrams are linked in their names) If you haven't checked out our last blog post where we interviewed Ashley Taylor make sure you go read it! We will be back soon with more posts and hopefully a new podcast episode!


                                                  May the Force Be With You!
                                                      ~ The Rogue Fangirls ~








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year of Rogue Fangirls!

Hey Everyone!     Katie here! Today marks the one year birthday of The Rogue Fangirls! So to celebrate, I'm going to be talking about two of my favorite moments in (mostly) Star Wars over the past year! Before I get started though, I'd like to thank all of you for your support! Whether you've been here since that first podcast last year or you've discovered Rogue Fangirls recently your support is so important and very much appreciated! Without friends and followers, there wouldn't be any Rogue Fangirls, so I very much appreciate all of you who support us! Star Wars Celebration Alright, you probably guessed it. The biggest moment for me this year was being given a press pass for Star Wars Celebration Chicago and getting to experience that! It was such a wonderful time! While I don't think I'll be able to come to Celebration Anaheim I hope that Celebration Chicago won't be the last one I attend. While people who had attended Celebrations in the p

Intervew with Melissa Thomas (aka Meltyartz)

 Hey everyone! Katie here! We are so sorry for the lack of content lately! Life has been extremely busy (and will only become more so over the holidays!) We will do our absolute best however to make sure we still get some content up! The plan for the coming week is to get at least one video up to talk about the new Resistance  episode and to get our interview with Temi Blaev (The stable boy from TLJ) up on the blog! Right now though, here is our interview with the extremely talented Melissa Thomas! We've talked to her briefly before (During our Artist interviews) but this time we got to chat with her even more!   We've talked to you briefly before. Last time we really just talked about art but I'm sure there is plenty more to talk about! Can you tell us a little bit about your 'style' and how you've developed it? Glad to talk again with you girls! Thank you for inviting me to do this interview. I feel like my style is in this constant motion of evo

Rebels Remembered : Two Years Later

Hello There!  Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on here! I'm excited to share this little podcast episode with you all though, last year I wrote this blog post all about Star Wars Rebels and you can find it here , however, I'm super excited to do a podcast episode this year! You can find it on Itunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify by searching 'The Rogue Fangirls' or by clicking here ! Enjoy and May The Force Be With You!        ~ Kat ~