Skip to main content

Interveiw with the Incredible Ashley Taylor!

Hello there!

            We told you we would have some exciting stuff coming this week and here is the first of it. We had the chance to talk with the amazing, super talented, Ashley Taylor! We were really excited to do this because Ashley Taylor is not only an amazing and sweet person but she inspired both of us and creates beautiful art. She also is also constantly posting encouraging things on her Instagram stories that Katie was especially touched by. That's enough from us though, here is the interview, we hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did!


We know you have a great story about how you got to where you are today, would you mind sharing it?
            My career had an unconventional start! While I was in college, I had a professor who told me I had “Zero talent.” For years, I felt too embarrassed to show anyone my art. I felt like I wasn't "good" enough.

It wasn’t until I found myself working at Walt Disney World that I rediscovered my love for art and my dream to be a Disney artist! I had amazing coworkers who would encourage me to draw each day! I came to a point where I decided that I was going to fulfill my dreams, no matter what. I spent each night staying up until 3AM watching tutorials, developing new techniques and finding my own style! I was slowly starting to feel confident in myself and my abilities. I was ready for my voice to be heard.

One day, I noticed a flier at Disney World that said “Disney Creative Forum!” The Creative Forum allows Disney cast members to pitch their talents and ideas to a prestigious panel of Imagineers and Disney Designers! My friend, Bryce, and I decided that we were going to pitch a design together! We took the opportunity seriously and spent a month working on our designs!

When the presentation day arrived, Bryce and I were ready! We walked into the room confident and proud of our hard work! We received wonderful feedback and it gave us the motivation to start posting our work online for the world to see!

All of that hard work payed off! One afternoon, Disney reached out to me and offered me a contract and Bryce was offered a job with Disney Imagineering! It's amazing what can happen when you believe in yourself and seize the opportunities ahead of you!

I started my career thinking I wasn't good enough, and now I'm working with various divisions of the Walt Disney Company! Currently, I'm creating artwork for the Disney Parks Blog, Disney Parks Merchandise and the WonderGround Gallery!

My story is proof that if you're willing to work hard, very few things can keep you from your dreams!

How does it feel knowing you inspire people daily?
            

All I've ever wanted to do was to bring color and joy to people's lives. Whether it's adding some art to their homes or providing clothes that make them feel their best! I love seeing where my products end up! And I hope people enjoy my art just as much as I enjoy creating it! 

What is your favorite piece of art you've ever done?
           

My favorite piece is always the newest piece I’m working on! I feel like I put all of my love and passion into everything I create! And right now I’m working on four new pieces coming to the Disney Parks in 2019, so that’s incredibly exciting!

I will say the pieces I currently have in the WonderGround Gallery are very meaningful to me! I have two pieces titled “Cinderella’s Kingdom” and “Aurora’s Kingdom” which are inspired by the storybook openings of those animated films! Those opening scenes made me want to become a Disney artist!  So being able to create those pieces felt like a full circle moment for me!

I have a piece called, “Daydreaming in the Tower,” is inspired by the inside of Rapunzel’s tower! When I saw Tangled for the first time, I started to reflect on my own dreams, just like Rapunzel! It’s the film that motivated me to pursue my dream of becoming an artist!



Beautiful Rapunzel art by Ashley Taylor

And I have a collaboration piece with Her Universe called, “Princess Mantra.” It’s a mirror with all of the princesses surrounding it! And inside the mirror is a mantra that takes lessons from all of the Disney Princess stories! We hope reciting this mantra will encourage people to become better versions of themselves. 

Her Universe just very recently released a jacket and a few shirts with some of your artwork on them. What is it like designing art for clothes alongside Ashley Eckstein?            

Designing and modeling for Her Universe has been a dream come true! Her Universe, like Disney, is a brand I completely believe in! Her Universe allows fangirls from all walks of life to flaunt their world and showcase their fandoms through fashion. It gives a voice to the female fan community and allows fangirls to not only feel accepted, but to be the best versions of themselves. So to be a small part in that community has been incredible!


The Brave shirt designed by Ashley Taylor
Ashley Eckstein has provided this world for all of us! I've learned so much from her and I look forward to our future projects together!


Speaking of Mrs. Eckstein, You did the illustrations for her book, It's Your Universe, What was your favorite illustration to draw?
            

When I first read Ashley Eckstein’s manuscript, I knew this project was something I had to be a part of! I knew this book was going to change lives and help so many people visualize their dreams! 


Ahsoka art by Ashley Taylor for Ashley Eckstein's book It's Your Universe

The creation of the book was labor of love for both Ashley and I! Being able to provide visuals for Ashley’s inspiring words, lessons and stories brought me so much joy! As close friends, it was easy for me to understand what her expectations were of me and my artwork!

I don’t think I have a favorite illustration in the book! Each piece of art was important for Ashley’s story! 

Also about the book, What impact have you seen because of it? (especially as someone who worked on it?)


This book has allowed us to connect with people in a completely new way! People have gone back to school, traveled more and have followed their passions because of it! Hearing these success stories have been invaluable to us! There's nothing better than watching people's faces light up when they talked to us about their dreams!! It fuels me to help more and more people make their dreams come true!
 One thing that makes you stand out is that you are always posting encouraging things on social media. what inspired you to first do that and what impact have you seen from that?


When I would do Disney signings, I would meet people who would tell me that their dream was to become a Disney artist…but they gave up. I could see the sadness on their faces. I knew a valued opinion told them they couldn’t do it. So I try my best to encourage people to follow their arts and do what makes them happy! 
Look at this Mulan art Ashley Taylor did!
And, finally, what personal advice do you have for people out there working to make their own dreams come true?


Don't shy away from your dreams just because you haven't seen anyone else accomplish them. Don't be afraid to be the first. You might have to build your own yellow brick road, but I promise it will be worth it! Hard work always pays off!


            If you guys would like to see more of Ashley's lovely work and see her inspiring and motivating messages you can find her here on Instagram. Both Cailey and I would like to thank Ashley for talking with us but also for inspiring us in so many ways! If you would like to find the shirt featured above (and other shirts designed by Ashley) you can find them here! Thanks for reading and May The Force Be With You!

                                                   ~ The Rogue Fangirls ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year of Rogue Fangirls!

Hey Everyone!     Katie here! Today marks the one year birthday of The Rogue Fangirls! So to celebrate, I'm going to be talking about two of my favorite moments in (mostly) Star Wars over the past year! Before I get started though, I'd like to thank all of you for your support! Whether you've been here since that first podcast last year or you've discovered Rogue Fangirls recently your support is so important and very much appreciated! Without friends and followers, there wouldn't be any Rogue Fangirls, so I very much appreciate all of you who support us! Star Wars Celebration Alright, you probably guessed it. The biggest moment for me this year was being given a press pass for Star Wars Celebration Chicago and getting to experience that! It was such a wonderful time! While I don't think I'll be able to come to Celebration Anaheim I hope that Celebration Chicago won't be the last one I attend. While people who had attended Celebrations in the p

Intervew with Melissa Thomas (aka Meltyartz)

 Hey everyone! Katie here! We are so sorry for the lack of content lately! Life has been extremely busy (and will only become more so over the holidays!) We will do our absolute best however to make sure we still get some content up! The plan for the coming week is to get at least one video up to talk about the new Resistance  episode and to get our interview with Temi Blaev (The stable boy from TLJ) up on the blog! Right now though, here is our interview with the extremely talented Melissa Thomas! We've talked to her briefly before (During our Artist interviews) but this time we got to chat with her even more!   We've talked to you briefly before. Last time we really just talked about art but I'm sure there is plenty more to talk about! Can you tell us a little bit about your 'style' and how you've developed it? Glad to talk again with you girls! Thank you for inviting me to do this interview. I feel like my style is in this constant motion of evo

Rebels Remembered : Two Years Later

Hello There!  Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on here! I'm excited to share this little podcast episode with you all though, last year I wrote this blog post all about Star Wars Rebels and you can find it here , however, I'm super excited to do a podcast episode this year! You can find it on Itunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify by searching 'The Rogue Fangirls' or by clicking here ! Enjoy and May The Force Be With You!        ~ Kat ~